30 people evacuated after PMD-related fire breaks out at Eunos block

Submitted by Stomper Zachary

This story was submitted via Facebook. Click here to join our Facebook page.

Jean Iau
The Straits Times
June 14, 2020

About 30 residents were evacuated from a block in Eunos after a fire broke out on Sunday (June 14) afternoon.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a personal mobility device (PMD) that was charging shortly before the fire broke out, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said in a Facebook update on Sunday.

The SCDF were alerted to the fire at Block 1 Eunos Crescent at about 3.05pm and no injuries were reported.

When SCDF personnel arrived, part of a corridor on the seventh floor of the block was engulfed in flames, the force said. The team put out the fire using a fire extinguisher and a water jet.

The SCDF has tips to prevent PMD-related fires on its website.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) encourages all PMD owners to use UL2272-certified devices and look out for the UL2272 certification marks when buying a PMD.

More information on UL2272 certification and a list of certified devices in Singapore are available on LTA's website.

All owners of non-UL2272-certified PMDs are also strongly encouraged to dispose of their devices at designated points as soon as possible. More information on PMD disposal is available on the website.


The Straits Times

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

More About: