25-year-old Australian bodybuilder dies after reportedly taking too much protein

An Australian bodybuilder was found unconscious in her Mandurah apartment in June, and rushed to a hospital where she later died. 

It was later revealed that the deceased, Meegan Hefford, 25, had a genetic disorder which prevented her from breaking down the proteins that she consumed. 

As a result, there was a build-up of ammonia in her blood, and fluid in her brain. 

She had not known about the disorder prior to the incident, reports The Independent. 

On Ms Hefford’s death certificate, it is stated that an intake of bodybuilding supplements was one of the reasons behind her death.

Ms Hefford’s mother, Michelle White told local media that her daughter’s death came as a complete shock to the family.

She told the family that she felt tired and ‘weird’ just weeks before her sudden death.

The mother of two had intensified her gym regime, and started a strict diet earlier in the year to prepare for a bodybuilding competition.

Said Ms White:

“I couldn’t believe what the doctors were telling me, she was dying. 

“I said, ‘You have to give her more time,’ because she didn’t look sick, she looked beautiful.

“Losing Meegan, it’s so awful and I still can’t believe she’s gone but I have to focus on the positives --- that at least I had 25 years with her and she jammed so much into her life, it’s almost like she knew her time would be short.”

Ms Hefford family now calling for more restrictions on the diet industry and advocating for more warnings to be put out in relation to high-protein diets.