Girl cries for help in Ang Mo Kio HDB lift after being hit by mum -- because she didn't go for tuition

A 17-year-old student was startled when he saw a young girl crying in the lift of a HDB block in Ang Mo Kio on Saturday (Mar 4) at around 11am.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, the girl told the student between tears that her mother wanted to kill her, and that she wanted to make a police report.

Noticing that her eyes were red and swollen, the student found out from the 8-year-old girl that she had gotten into an argument with her mother and then fled the house.

“She looked terrified, and I was at a loss as to what to do,” the student told Lianhe Wanbao. “A lady who was passing by suggested that I bring her to the nearby community club.

“The staff there gave the girl warm water and chocolate to calm her down, then brought her to the police to make a report.”

The police and paramedics later arrived and inspected the girl for injuries, before sending her to KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital for a more thorough check-up. She was brought back home yesterday (Mar 7).

A 59-year-old neighbour told Lianhe Wanbao that she heard a series of loud yells on the day of the incident. When she looked out of her front door, she saw the mother and her daughter standing in front of the lift.

“The mother was very angry and shouting nonstop at her daughter, while the girl stood opposite her and cried,” said the housewife.

She said the family had just moved to the area recently and that it was the first time she had witnessed such a confrontation between them.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, the girl’s step-father said that she had thrown a tantrum on the day of the incident and refused to go for tuition.

When her mother came home and found out, she was enraged. She is believed to have hit her child in her fury.

Her husband came home some time later and attempted to stop his wife. Worried that things would escalate further, he instructed his step-daughter to call the police.

It is understood that the woman was previously a single mother, and had brought up the girl single-handedly for four years. They had just gotten married half a year ago, said the man, and they were still getting used to life together as a family.

He said:

“I did not expect things to become this serious.

"Luckily, my daughter is now at home, and I have talked things out with my wife. We will ensure this will never happen again in future.”

The police confirmed with the evening paper that a report had been filed and that investigations were ongoing.