Washing machine catches fire in CCK resident's home

Submitted by Stomper James

This story was submitted via WhatsApp. Click here to join our WhatsApp group.

Stomper James was shocked when he awoke to his washing machine on fire this morning (May 11) at around 9.30am.

The incident happened at his home in Block 455, Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4, while he was still asleep in his room, and his mother was in the living room. 

According to James, his mother was watching television in the living room when she noticed thick smoke coming from the balcony where the washing machine was placed.

After that, a power trip followed. 

She woke James up, who went to investigate the source of the smoke, discovering that their washing machine had caught fire, with smoke being emitted. 

He quickly ran to the bathroom and grabbed a pail of water, dousing the machine in water. 

After his second pail, the fire was extinguished at around 9.40am, and he quickly informed his siblings about the incident.

Said James:

“The washing machine was purchased in 2010. 

“I’m worried now as I have many appliances at home that are from the same company.

“I’ve posted the incident on Facebook and brought the matter up to the company, but have received no replies so far. 

“Luckily, no one was hurt.

“But I work in the afternoons, and during that time, my elderly parents are home by themselves.”